After using my trusted raspberry pi for a little over 2 years, I was in need of an upgrade. In the beginning my goal was just to make a home firewall/server using PFsense, but then I added an extra requirement, it had to use as little energy as possible. My top priority was getting a system that…
PwnPi might save me
After a lot of time trying out different power adapters in the hopes that it would supply more mA to the Raspberry. I somehow came to the conclusion that it wouldn’t hurt to try a different Linux variant on the Raspberry. So I started looking around, and found PwnPi (mentioned here) appealing again. So I downloaded it, flashed it, and enlarged the root partition. Proceeded to plugin the Power adapter card and booted the Raspberry with the PwnPI 3.0 image. Waited about 30 seconds and tried to ssh into it.
After the greeting, I plug in the TL-WN722N again and do a lsusb, ifconfig and a dmesg to check if everything is working correctly.
We see the same as before, the TL-WN722N is indeed pluged in. The PwnPi OS seems to have better support for the Atheros AR9271 chipset, as it works out of the box compared to Kali which required you to manual download both firmware and driver, and even then I still didn’t get it working.
Lets see if airmon wants to play with us this time using PwnPi instad.
Here we go, it seems that the PwnPI might save me after all. I was also able to run a iwlist wlan0 scan to check if it could see any wireless signals. And it worked! Here is small screenshot of the scan :
iwlist wlan0 scan
This shows a list of wireless access points in my range. I can see all sorts of information using scan :
- MAC address
Now that everything related to the hardware seems to be working, its time to setup some scripts and such to I can try to automate the process of cracking wireless AP’s.